Choose a Colour Scheme
Choosing a colour scheme for your home can be a fun and rewarding process, but it can also be a bit daunting. Here are some tips on how to choose a colour scheme for your home:
1. Start with a neutral base: A neutral base colour, such as beige, gray, or white, is a great starting point for a colour scheme. These colors will provide a neutral timeless backdrop and will allow you to add other colours and interest with accents. I like to have the most prominent colours to be tone-on-tone, meaning different graded tones of that same colour. It gives a simple and sophisticated overall look. Or I like using the same undertone for different colours. For instance, I love a white and gray combination where both have a yellow-green undertone. It is so harmonious.
2. Look at your existing furniture and decor: Consider the colours of your existing furniture and decor when choosing a colour scheme. You may want to match or complement these colours in your paint or wallpaper choices.
3. Consider the purpose of the room: When choosing a colour scheme, consider the purpose of the room. For example, a bedroom should have a calming and soothing colour scheme, while a kitchen or dining room could have a more energetic colour scheme.
4. Take inspiration from nature: Nature is a great source of inspiration for colour schemes. You can take inspiration from the colours of the sky, the sea, or the forest.
5. Be open to experimenting: Don't be afraid to experiment with different colour combinations. You may be surprised by how well certain colours work together.
6. Test the colours: Before committing to a colour scheme, it's important to test the colours in the room. Paint a sample on a piece of paper or a small section of the wall, and observe how it looks in different lighting conditions.
7. Use your colour scheme in different ways throughout your home: use the same trim colour everywhere, but then you can vary the use of the colours in different rooms. For instance, you may have a pale blue as an accent in the main living area and use the same colour as the wall colour in a bedroom.
By following these tips, you should be able to choose a colour scheme for your home that you'll love and enjoy for years to come.